Friday, June 08, 2007

Watching The Cubs On Your Computer

In order to give my readers the latest Cub disasters in detail, I've contributed $19.95 to the bloated coffers of Major League Baseball. By making the team owners that much richer, I can watch Cubs games on my computer.

In case you don't already know how this works, let me explain how you sign up, what you get, and what you don't get. Make sure you understand the weaknesses of this service before you pay a dime.

To begin, go to this MLB link. Notice the options, and notice the cost.

You can watch any game by any major league team, and you can watch it live (see the exceptions listed below). Or you can listen to it on your computer, provided that your computer delivers audio. After the game is over, you can watch the whole thing again, you can watch a condensed version, or you can watch the game highlights.

Now let me tell you what you don't get.

Blackout restrictions apply. If you live anywhere close to Chicago, you can't watch the Cubs or Whites Sox live. You also can't watch the Brewers or other teams in the Middle West live. You can listen to the live audio, sometimes called for Cubs games by Pat Hughes and Ron Santo. (You can watch the games after the live version is over and made available in the archives.)

You can't watch the Cubs live even if they're playing in California. If I'm wrong about this, someone let me know. I'm new at this earth-shaking offer and may make mistakes. You can listen to the audio version, but you can already get that from your radio.

Here's another weakness in all this. The video image you see on your computer isn't as good as what you would see on television. It may get better in the future, but I don't know when.

Next weakness: Unless you have high-speed Internet, you won't be able to watch the games on your computer. The MLB website provides a way for you to test your computer before you pay your hard-earned cash.

Last major issue: Unless you take steps to prevent it, MLB will continue to suck money out of your credit card for the rest of eternity.

When you sign up, MLB will give you the message below. Save it:

"Your last monthly bill will occur in October 2007. Your subscription will automatically renew on 3/1 of the subsequent season at the previous year’s rate. To cancel your monthly subscription or this automatic renewal feature, send an e-Mail to cssubscriptionfeedback@website.mlb.com or call Customer Service at 866-800-1275."

That's how the offer works. This post is not an advertisement for Major League Baseball. For my part, I consider my enrollment a trial run. I may continue with it, or I may cancel.

But regardless of all this, I'll still keep track of all Cub disasters.

No comments: