Monday, June 11, 2007

Serious Addiction: Home Run Beat the Streak

My name is F. Scott Fitzgerald, and I'm addicted to Home Run Beat the Streak.

Major League Baseball gave us Home Run Beat the Streak. When will it give us Fantasy Baseball Anonymous?

Home Run Beat the Streak (HRBS) creates the illusion that it's possible to win. All you have to do is pick guys who will hit homers in the next 11 games.

If you pick correctly, you win $10,000.

It looks easy. If it's so easy, why don't I have $10,000 in the bank?

Because it ain't easy.

At the moment, the player in the lead has a streak of nine. Will he reach eleven? I doubt it.

But if he can, why can't I? Maybe I can.

At this point, we depart rational thinking.

What major-league player ever hit ten homers in a row? Apparently none. The record for HRBS was set by a fellow fantasy-game player, not a real baseball player.

So in our fantasies, we've surpassed real human beings.

Maybe I can really win $10,000.

No comments: