Friday, December 29, 2006

Blog Explosion

Every now and then I wander into Blog Explosion. I always head straight for the Books/Lit/Writing group in hopes of finding some good prose.

Almost always.

About two hours ago, I stumbled and fell into the politics group, although I didn’t notice the error until I started reading the second blog. At that point, a repetitiveness in the writing style and content hit me in the forehead like a paper weight thrown by a frustrated journalist.

In the politics club, all the contributors have opinions, and their opinions tend to veer toward the extreme. Statements resemble bayonet charges rather that discourse. The writers suggest by their tone and content that they wouldn’t mind executing anyone who disagrees with them. Instead of rigging elections, they’d prefer to eliminate the electorate.

The violence of the opinions expressed by the political contributors is matched only by the foulness of their language. If you have young children around the house, I suggest that you steer them away from the poolroom language of the political commentators. Vulgarities and obscenities fly around the page like a powerful break by Minnesota Fats. This crowd of politicos didn’t pay much attention to the nuns while in grade school. Maybe they didn’t get into grade school.

All this violence sent me running for the Books/Lit/Writing group where I belong. We may not be as talented as Flannery O’Connor, but most of us want to limit the body count.

I lost my cue stick. See you in the library.

No comments: